27.5.13

A beautiful beginning

Sorry it has taken me awhile to get up and blogging, but here we go...

It's been less than a week since I've arrived in Oxford and already I'm in love.  The first day was a bit bumpy - I left my US cell phone on the bus from London, but thanks to the kind British folks I was able to get it back the next day.  They even provided me a ride to and from the bus company offices.  Since then I have been out every day exploring Oxford.  So much to see!
Oxford City Centre

I've headed to the city centre (downtown) pretty much every day since I've arrived.  It's so lovely and the buildings are magnificent.  Nothing like downtown Chicago.  The city centre is speckled with colleges associated with the University of Oxford and each one is intertwined with shops, cafes and houses.  They're all quite majestic in their own right, with some of the most well-known Scholars, such as Albert Einstein, studying among their walls.  In fact, although I have yet to venture inside the building and see it for myself, I overheard a tour guide mention that the chalkboard scribbled on by Albert Einstein remains inside the college and the writings are still there. 

Tarreced houses within the city centre

 The terraced houses in the city centre are an array of lovely colours (and yes, I'm trying to get accustomed to spelling things the British way since my job involves a bit of writing).  Also, if you noticed from the picture, it was raining at the time I took this.  One thing I have learned - the hard way on the first day - there is always a chance of rain!  I've begun keeping an umbrella in my purse at all times. 

Since coffee isn't a household norm here (and for those of you who don't know, I enjoy my morning cup of coffee) my first stop each day is for a latte...and occasionally again in the afternoon.  I still haven't quite figured out the lingo for afternoon tea (there are various terms for a variety of teas and scones).
 
Over the weekend I ventured out and found some of the most breathtaking views of Oxford, which include Magdalen College (if you don't pronounce it 'Maudlin', you're sure to be a foreigner), Christ
Church meadows and Old Headington. The most interesting thing about all of them is that they are smack-dab in the middle of the city. One minute you are weaving in and out of all the foot traffic, dodging buses and the next, you pop down a small lane or through a gate and *poof* you're in the middle of a wide open field that's as quiet and calm as can be. It's no wonder writers such as C.S. Lewis (the Chronicles of Narnia) and Lewis Carroll (Alice's Adventures in Wonderland) were able to dream up such masterpieces in Oxford. In fact, I picnicked today next to the Isis River - an extension of the River Thames that runs through Oxford - the location in which Alice's Adventures were first told. Ironically, we are also planning to move in to a house just around the corner from where C.S. Lewis lived!  That particular house, and the one I'm staying in now, is in Headington - which is like a suburb or neighborhood of Oxford.  It has its own little main street with grocery stores, cafes and small shops.  The John Radcliffe Hospital, where I will be working, is there as well.  Headington itself is not quite as "Cotswold-y" as Old Headington, but it is a nice area, with a large library and park for James and the kids.
 
I've posted below some of my favourite pictures from my walks  - but the truth is, none of them quite capture the beauty of the living scenes.  I guess you'll just have to come to Oxford and see for yourselves!
Old Headington

The streets of Old Headington
Cuckoo's Lane in Old Headington

Christ Church Meadow


Magdalen College Botanical Gardens
Isis River




Christ Church

Magdalen College - Gate toward the grounds





No comments:

Post a Comment